Shortly after posting the first part of this series on improving the MogreBuilder I was contacted by another user (McDonte). He had been working on a GUI frontend for the automated build tool a few months back and I had offered to host the source code and binaries on my web-host. He sent me a copy of the code and I tested it out. I was hoping to make this part of the series about integrating the GUI but unfortunately, there are still few outstanding bugs to sort out. I was a little conflicted about how to proceed with the GUI side of things, so instead I did what I could with the command line version.
McDonte did an awesome job creating an option rich GUI to cover just about everything you could think of in the build tool. He also added the missing tasks to automatically download the Ogre source code as part of the build process. I was hoping to be able to build Mogre easily with the GUI, but I ran into a number of issues including:
- The calls to hg had a syntax error because the -u option was missing from the command line.
- Cmake reported an error but did not provide a reason.
- I had to set the paths to TortioseHg and Cmake each time I ran the tool.
Once these issues are fixed I’m sure the GUI version of the tool will be released in one form or another.
The bitbucket repositories
A couple of days later I asked Beauty if I could have access to the MogreBuilder and Mogre repositories on bitbucket. This was no trouble and I uploaded the changes I made to the MogreBuilder command line version.
User Tubulii downloaded the binaries that I compiled last week and tested them out with the Mogre samples. He also had to build MOIS for the input system. Ideally, my goal is to make it easy to grab a copy of the repository and build Mogre out of the box with minimal effort. So it stands to reason that MOIS and the samples should also be included in the build process.
Surprisingly the source code for the samples is not on the bitbucket repository. For some reason, the only place the source code could be located was the Mogre installer for version 1.7.1. This is not really acceptable, so I plan to upload the sample source code to bitbucket shortly. I only just managed to get them to compile and run on my machine tonight after some messing around with the project settings.
Every time a new version of Mogre is built it is handy to be able to run through the samples as a smoke test to make sure everything went well.
I’m pretty happy with the progress this week, even though there is not a lot to show for it. The feedback has been great so keep it coming